Maota Ariki is the entry point to the Ballroom.
It displays a collection of art and artifacts that reflect New Zealand’s place in the Pacific, including a model of a waka taua, commissioned by the Earl of Ranfurly, Governor (1897-1904).
The magnificent Kahu Kiwi cloak on display was bought in a Hawke’s Bay store in the mid-1920s by Lady Marjorie Dalrymple, who was Headmistress of Woodford House, Havelock North. She took it home with her when she returned to Scotland in 1928. In 1962, she gave it to Sir Bernard Fergusson on the eve of his departure for New Zealand as Governor-General, to be hung in perpetuity in Government House.
The carpet is a kowhaiwhai pattern designed by New Zealand artist Andrew John Tama-Kainga McLeod. The design references the work of 20th Century New Zealand artist Theo Schoon, who used Māori motifs in his art work.
A garment from the World of Wearable Art show is also on display, changing yearly.