Tours can be arranged for groups of 7-50 people. They're free, and fully guided.
Tours start with films and displays in our Visitor Centre, before exploring Government House. When weather and mobility permit, we can also explore the gardens.
Please note: In general, if your group is fewer than five people, please book to go on an existing public tour.
We can arrange tours for groups of less than five, where the group has a specialist need, for example language, medical, learning or physical requirements. If you're planning an education trip, please visit our school tours page.
Our tour programme
- All tours are free and fully guided.
- Tours are normally 2 hours long. Start times are usually 10am or 1pm.
- Weekend tours can only be run on limited dates in the afternoon. They are never on public holidays.
- Availability of tour dates is dependent on events at Government House. You must arrange tours in advance, and we recommend you contact us at least 1 month before you wish to visit.
- We have onsite parking for cars and buses. Public buses stop by Wellington Hospital, and it's a short hill walk from there to the entry gate for Government House tours.
- Government House and the Visitor Centre have good wheelchair access. Wheelchairs are available.
- The gardens are not accessible for people with limited mobility.
- Tours are in English
- You can book NZSL interpreters, dependent on notice and availability
- We don't have refreshment facilities available.
Please let us know us if your group has a particular focus.
We can arrange garden tours.
We can also run shorter tours for groups with limited mobility or other needs (eg from rest homes).
Booking a tour
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 04 3820837.
Please provide your name and contact details, the name of your group and approximate number of people. Let us know any dates or particular days you're interested in. We'll contact you with options.