The Governor-General, Lt Gen The Rt Hon Sir Jerry Mateparae, and Lady Janine Mateparae travelled to London to support the New Zealand team at the 30th Olympiad.
While in London from 26-31 July, the Governor-General and Lady Janine Mateparae attended the Opening Ceremony and meet New Zealand athletes at a number of events.
Sir Jerry and Lady Janine Mateparae attended the NZOC Governor-General’s Dinner at the Banqueting Hall on 26 July where the New Zealand flag bearer, Nick Willis, was announced. On 27 July they attended a reception hosted by The Queen for visiting Heads of State and Governors-General before attending the Opening Ceremony.
In the following days, Sir Jerry and Lady Janine Mateparae will visit the Athlete’s Village and attend the swimming, rowing, tennis, equestrian, and hockey events. Sir Jerry is Patron of Hockey New Zealand and Rowing New Zealand. They will also attend a Reception at New Zealand House on 30 July organised by the New Zealand High Commission, and the Governor-General will host a Breakfast for Athletes’ Families at Kiwi House on 31 July.
- Photographs: Audience with TRH The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall
- Photographs: NZOC Governor-General's Dinner
- Speech: NZOC Governor-General's Dinner
- Photographs: Equestrian Trot Up
- Photographs: Rowing
- Photographs: Women's Hockey - NZ vs. Australia
- Photographs: Meeting the Governor General of Canada, Rt Hon David Johnston
- Photographs: Men's Hockey - NZ vs. Korea
- Photographs: Visit to the Olympic Village
For personal updates from the Governor-General, please visit our social media pages: