For photos from this visit, please click here.
This visit follows on from their 13 September visit, when they met with local government, civil defence, the emergency services, community groups and some of the people affected by the earthquake.
Thursday’s visit will include meeting with staff from the Earthquake Recovery Centre in Kaiapoi, a visit to Courtenay Downs to view the earthquake recovery work being undertaken, and attending a presentation at the University of Canterbury Emergency Operations Centre.
Sir Anand will also be attending the University of Canterbury Pacific Achievers Evening 2010, for which he is guest speaker.
For more information, please contact: Rebekah Clement, Public Affairs Advisor, Government House on 021 243 7958.
For media wanting to attend programme events at the University of Canterbury, please contact: Jeanette Colman, Communications Manager, University of Canterbury on (03) 364 2260
A more detailed itinerary is set out below*:
Thursday 16 December
- 09:30 View earthquake damage at Brooklands and Spencerville
- 10:15 Visit Kaiapoi Community Centre and meet staff from the Earthquake Recovery Centre
- 10:30 Visit Courtenay Downs subdivision to view earthquake recovery work
- 11:15 Visit the north side of the Kaiapoi River along the riverbank, Kaiapoi Information Centre and the earthquake affected area north-east of Kaiapoi
- 11:45 Visit Pines Beach and Kairaki Beach
- 12:15 Attend lunch with Mayor and Mayoress of Waimakariri, Waimakariri District Councillors and the Chair and members of the Kaiapoi Community Board at the Kaiapoi Workingmen’s Club and MSA
- 14:00 Attend presentation on the Communications and Facilities Management at the Emergency Operations Centre at the University of Canterbury
- 15:45 The Governor-General is guest speaker at the University of Canterbury Pacific Achievers Evening 2010.
* Due to the fluid nature of the situation, please regard this event schedule as provisional and approximate. If in doubt, call Rebekah Clement, Public Affairs Advisor, Government House on 021 243 7958